What is Your Definition of Success?
Stop any person on the street and ask them what Success means to them and you will get a myriad of different but similar answers.
Some will say is it an abundance of money. Others might say it is achieving your dreams. Still others will say it is a loving family or a job you love. Some will say it is figuring out Who you really are, or learning to appreciate all of life. Some will say it’s just an attitude you live by. What is success to you?
I recently read an excerpt from “Born to Win! Find Your Success Code” by Zig Ziglar that gives a whole new meaning to success.
I’d like to share it.
(excerpted from his new book, Born to Win! Find Your Success Code)
Here’s a short list of the characteristics of what I believe success isn’t and what I believe success is.
Let’s start with what success is.
What Success Is:
1. Success is knowing that you did a great job when you close the door to your office at the end of each workday and head for home.
2. Success is having a home and people to love who love you in return.
3. Success is having the financial security to meet your obligations each month and the knowledge that you have provided that security for your family in the event of your demise.
4. Success is having the kind of faith that lets you know where to turn when there seems to be no place to turn.
5. Success is having an interest or hobby that gives you joy and peace.
6. Success is knowing who you are, and Whose you are.
7. Success is taking good care of you and waking up healthy each day.
8. Success is slipping under the covers at the end of the day and realizing with gratitude that, “It just doesn’t get much better than this!”
You see from this list that success is more than a one-sentence definition. Success involves the whole person, and if you skimp on one area, you will limit your success in others. Now, let’s take a look at what success isn’t.
What Success Isn’t:
1. Success isn’t missing dinner with the family several times a week because of working excessively.
2. Success isn’t rushing home from work and hiding out with the TV thinking, “After the day I’ve had, I need my space!”
3. Success isn’t about how to make more money when you already have more money than you can spend.
4. Success isn’t about going to church and ignoring everything you hear.
5. Success isn’t all work and no play.
6. Success isn’t about being so busy that you live on unhealthy fast food, served to you through little windows.
7. Success isn’t spending mental energy worrying about late projects, being home on time, your health, missing your child’s school play, being able to pay your bills, or finding joy in your life.
8. Success isn’t texting while you drive to catch up on your overloaded schedule.
Zig Ziglar’s “Born to Win! Find Your Success Code”, compresses four decades of life-changing tools and practices into an inspiring, concise, easy-to-use format for bottom-line people who want to grow and improve the whole spectrum of their life “right now!” Click here to find out more or to purchase your copy of the book.
You can download a chapter of the book, (or order it) “Born to Win! Find Your Success Code” by clicking on the link above.
I like what he Zig says, “Success involves the whole person, and if you skimp on one area, you will limit your success in others.” Be sure and share your ideas on what Success is to you. We would all love to hear the many thoughts of others. I hope you lay your head on your pillow each night and feel that you can say “I was successful today!”
To Your Success…….